A smart clock that adjusts the morning alarms according to your work schedule; the shower that is already warm before you step in; the coffee made and waiting for you in the kitchen. Sound too futuristic? No – smart homes are here!
Apple, Alexa and Google have brought in transformational trends that have introduced us to smart home technology. There’s an increasing demand for smart homes equipped with customised systems controlling lighting modes, curtains, security alarms, and other appliances.
With technology at the core of architecture design, there is a smarter building design process now. The goal is to implement home features that give homeowners control and connectivity, as well as security.
Recent years have shown how people need to accommodate a lifestyle that connects multi-use spaces. Smart homes allow people to improve their quality of life through automated devices. Here are the benefits:
- It supports independent living for vulnerable people
- More user control and functionality satisfy the individual needs of the homeowners
- Entry-level home automation systems are quite cost-effective
Architects make the ideal smart home a reality
Most homeowners now insist on including smart home technologies as a basic standard. This is bringing architects such as ourselves to work together with home automation consultants.
Designing a home is about meeting the aspirations and budgets of a homeowner or builder. Combining the specialist training and experience of architecture and home design with smart home technologies can make a truly smart home.
Architectural designing has gone through several changes to meet smart home requirements:
- At the planning stage, there is the incorporation of smart wiring, dedicated space for systems and sensor placements to facilitate remote control of appliances.
- Embedded devices and interactive objects are diffused into the infrastructure in an unobtrusive way.
- Architecture design is also coming up with ways to retrofit older structures with smart technology.
Configuring a smart home
A smart home enables a safe, healthy, comfortable and independent life. From energy efficiency to intelligent control systems, the key is correct planning. When architects are assisted with the right technology partner, we can successfully implement smart home innovations.