We are delighted to announce that we have received two awards from the 2015 Quality of Place Awards hosted by Suffolk Coastal District Council. The ceremony honours historic building conservation, outstanding designs and construction for the benefit of local landscape, nature of community. We are very pleased to receive a certificate and bronze Quality of Place plaque in the “Design – Extension and Conversion” category, for both Rookery Farm in Monewden and Dolphin House in Aldeburgh.
We attended the Award Presentation on Thursday the 1st of October in the Council Chamber of the Council’s Offices to receive our certificates. It was a great evening and we felt proud that all of our team’s hard work and determination had been recognised. More nominations had been submitted this year than ever before.
Our winning projects
Rookery Farm is a late 16th Century traditional Suffolk long house with an exposed timber frame internally. The house has had many alterations in the 19th and 20th Century but the core building remains largely intact. There was evidence of a back house located on the north-west side of the house, from the 1659 maps. This evidence helped justify a new kitchen extension, in a similar position. The house has a number of historic water features, which also restricted extending the building.
Aldeburgh House – originally named White Cottage – was built in 1926 to the design of Oliver Hill – a versatile architect equally skilled as a modernist and a classicist. Hill had other commissions locally and also planned major new development in Frinton in the 1930’s. Aldeburgh House is possessed of a homely – almost Arts and Crafts – architectural style; presenting a low sweeping pantiled roof, Dutch gables, and a prominent tapering chimney stack. Internally the same theme pertains, with heavy made ledged and braced doors and wooden sneck latches. The exterior materials are black glazed pantiles and a Fletton or Phorpres type facing brick that was originally limewashed. Aldeburgh House is Listed, Grade II.