St Peter and St Paul Lavenham
The church dates from the 14th Century although there is believed to have been an earlier church on this prominent site. The significant change happens in the 15th and 16th centuries. The reconstruction of the church took place mainly between 1485 and 1525. The architect is thought to have been John Wastell, who built the Church of St Mary the Great, Cambridge, which is very similar. The building is late perpendicular in its design, and regarded as one of the finest churches built in that style. It was also one of the last churches to be completed before the English Reformation. The extraordinary cost of the work was paid for by the local merchant families, who had become amongst the wealthiest in England. The same families continued to pay for the upkeep of the building, in some cases for centuries after its completion.
Nick Jacob have been the Quinquennial Architect for some time and consequently we have undertaken a number of repairs on the building. We have also been responsible for internal changes and re-ordering which includes seating, the visitors shop and vestry/robing cupboards.